Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Hashi-oki Collection (Chopstick Rest)


Hashi-oki (ha-she-oh-key) are Japanese tableware used to keep the chopsticks tips from touching the table and to prevent the chopsticks from rolling. In my house, we use the Hashi-oki for every meal. Preparing the chopsticks and Hashi-oki is typically my kids’ job as we set the table. Thinking about which Hashi-oki to use is the fun part for them. Also understanding the season and showing it on the table is a very important part of Japanese food culture so selecting the correct Hashi-oki helps them to learn this.


I have quite a collection of Hashi-oki. Here are some of the highlights of my collection…


These Hashi-oki are for spring. The pink one is shaped and colored like the peddle of a cherry blossom. The green one is for “verdure season” which happens after the cherry blossoms are fully bloomed. Spring is just around the corner and I can’t wait to use these spring themed Hashi-oki.


These white and blue porcelain Hashi-oki are perfect for the summer. The colors look cool and refreshing, they take us away from the heat of summer.


These earthy heavy looking pottery Hashi-oki are best to use in the fall or winter.


These lemon Hashi-oki can be used both in the summer with lemonade or in winter with hotpot, since winter is the season for lemons and I use my homemade meyer lemon ponzu.


These small mallet shaped Hashi-oki is for bringing luck to our table so I usually use them for New Year’s.
For fall, I love to use these Japanese maple leaf shaped Hashi-oki.


And, real Japanese lantern


More of my collection.
From Kyoto, vegetable shaped Hashi-oki made from Bamboo


Pretty pastel colored bowtie Hashi-oki


Tomatoes and grapes


Kabocha squash


Lovely flower Hashi-oki, I think it is the dahlia flower


These Hashi-oki have a European look. It fits well with foreign dishes.


My favorite spring and summer Hashi-oki are shown in these two pictures. The flowers encased in glass are gorgeous. I love them a lot.



See if you can find a set of Hashi-oki at your Japanese, Asian market, or kitchen, dining, and homegoods store. Make it a point to try using your Hashi-oki the next time you eat a Japanese dish!



The process of putting your chopsticks on the Hashi-oki is said to slow down our eating and help us relax and enjoy our food. It might even help us eat less, at least this is what they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment