Another wonderful holiday drink is fruity mulled wine. I really love hot wine during the winter holiday season. I still remember the first time I tried mulled wine at my English teacher’s holiday party. I was stunned by how delicious the drink was… I still regret that I didn’t ask for the recipe!
The mulled wine I make at home is a sweet and citrusy version. I serve it with fruit pieces, cinnamon or star anise mixed in the pitcher but you could also keep it simple if you don’t have everything on hand. I prefer my mulled wine to be a bit on the sweeter side, so I add a generous portion sugar, but if you prefer less sweet then just reduce the amount of sugar according to your taste!
This drink is perfect for holiday parties or with any social gathering with family or friends!
Mulled wine with apples and oranges
• 1 bottle of Red wine (like Cabernet Sauvignon)
• 60cc or 4 tablespoons of brandy
• 2 oranges (organic if possible)
• 1 apple (organic if possible)
• 3 cinnamon sticks
• 3 star anise
• 4-5 cloves
• 4-8 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1. Wash the apple and the oranges. Cut one orange into 7-8mm wide round slices and the apple into 1cm wide pieces or cubes.
2. Peel the other orange with peeler and squeeze out the juice. Keep the peels for later use.
3. In a pot with the apple and orange pieces, add the orange juice, cinnamon, star anise, clove, and granulated sugar.
5. Heat the mixture for about 15- 20 minutes, over medium-low heat so that you will not bring the mixture to boil.