Shishito peppers are popular in Japan, but they were once quite rare in the states. I use to have to grow my own in the garden to enjoy them but now I can get them here at the store. This dish is easy and goes well with beer!
Shishito peppers are not usually hot like chili or jalapeno peppers but some of them are hotter than the others. It seems that one out of every ten might be on the hotter side, so we say eating them is like playing Russian roulette. There are some good nutritional benefits to eating peppers, as they are high in antioxidants and vitamin C, so eat them whenever you can.
Shishito peppers are great used in tempura. Try it also with my tempura recipe: Basic Kakiage Tempura.
Shishito Peppers with Pork Belly Sauté
· Shishito peppers
· meat (preferably pork belly)
1. Wash Shishito peppers and poke a small hole with knife or tooth pick so that they don’t burst open.
2. Cut your favorite meat into bite-sized pieces.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the meat until the color changes.
4. Add Shishito peppers into the frying pan and sauté together until the Shishito peppers have a bright green color. Season generously with salt and white or black pepper.
5. Sauté another 1 to 2 minutes until the meat and Shishito peppers are cooked. Season again if you need then serve.