We love pickles in Japan. The pickle making technique is much different in Japan than in Western countries. Some of the varieties don’t require a long soaking or fermenting period. Today I will show you one of the easiest and quickest soy sauce based/marinated cucumber pickle recipes, which makes a great addition to any meal.
Soy Sauce Based Cucumber Pickles
· 1 or 2 cucumbers (I prefer organic if possible)
· 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
· 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
· 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
1. With a peeler, peel 4 stripes of skin off the cucumber length-wise. Slice into half inch pieces.
2. In a Ziploc container or a bowl, mix the brown sugar, soy sauce, and rice vinegar well and add the sliced cucumbers. Mix well and leave for 15 minutes to a couple hours so that the flavor gets absorbed.
3. Serve with sesame seeds or shichimi pepper if you like.
★If you are interested in Japanese cuisine then check out my other articles in the Washoku.Guide!