This curry is little different from the Japanese curry people are familiar with. The seasonings used here give this curry more of a Japanese umami flavor. It is a fantastic recipe to keep so you have options to switch is up sometimes. Try it out to taste the difference!
*In Japan we use thinly sliced pork but it is typically hard to find here in the States. I normally substitute this with ground pork.
with thinly sliced pork
with ground pork
Japanese Style Curry
· 1lbs of ground pork
· 2 medium size onion
· ½lbs of frozen green peas
· 500cc of Japanese Dashi broth
· 1 teaspoon of salt
· 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
· 2 tablespoons of Mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
· 6 tablespoons of soy sauce
· 2 tablespoons of S&B curry powder
· 3 tablespoons of potato starch, (dissolve in 3 tablespoons of water)
· some salt and pepper to season ground pork
· poached egg: How to Make Pouched Eggs
1. Boil Dashi broth, salt, sugar, Mirin and soy sauce in a pot.
2. Slice the onions. Lightly season the ground pork with salt and pepper. Once the pot from 1) starts to boil, add the onions and the ground pork. Simmer until the onions soften and the ground pork turns brown.
3. Add green peas and curry powder and mix. Pour the potato starch dissolved in water and simmer until the sauce thickens.
4. Top it with pouched eggs and serve with rice. Recipe for pouched eggs: How to Make Poached Eggs