This is the basic tart crust recipe easily made by using a food processor. I use this crispy yet tender tart crust to bake cherry tart. I will introduce the cherry tart recipe following this post.
Basic Tart Crust
(Enough for 9-10 inch tart crust)
· 1 and ¼ cup (300cc) of all-purpose flour
· ¼ cup (60cc) of granulated sugar
· 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter
· ¼ teaspoon of salt
· 1 egg yolk
· 2 tablespoons of cold water
· 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. In a bowl, combine and mix the egg yolk, cold water and vanilla extract.
2. In a food processor, combine flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Pulse to mix about 5 times.
3. Add unsalted butter to the food processor and pulse to mix about 20 times until the butter is invisible.
4. Add the mix from 1) to the food processor and mix until the dough comes together into a ball.
5. On a lightly floured cutting board, place 4) and press it flat into a disk. Wrap completely using saran wrap and let it chill in the fridge for 30 min to an hour.
6. Preheat oven to 200C° or 400F°.
7. Take out the dough from the fridge and roll it out into a size a little bigger than the tart pan. Place the dough on the tart pan.
8. Press the dough firmly into the corners and ridges of the tart pan. Cut out unnecessary dough. Dock the dough with a fork.
9. Line the interior of tart with parchment paper and place pie weights or dry beans on top of the parchment paper to prevent expansion. Bake for 15 min.
10. Remove the weights and parchment paper, and bake for another 10 min.
11. Place it on a cooling rack and allow the tart crust cool down.
★If you are interested in Japanese cuisine then check out my other articles in the Washoku.Guide!