Here is the recipe for the cherry tart I promised from my previous post (Basic Tart Crust). With this homemade crispy, yet tender tart crust just makes it extra yummy. If you are using fresh cherries, I recommend using cherry pit remover. I got mine from Amazon (photo included below).
Classic American Cherry Tart
(Enough for 9-10 inch tart)
· 1lbs or 400-450g of cherry(fresh or frozen), pits removed
· cherry or raspberry jam
· 1 and ¼ cup (300cc) of all-purpose flour
· ¼ cup (60cc) of granulated sugar
· 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter
· ¼ teaspoon of salt
· 1 egg yolk
· 2 tablespoons of cold water
· 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
· 1 and ½ cups (360cc) of almond slices, lightly toasted
· ½ cup (120cc) of granulated sugar
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 2 whole eggs
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon almond extract
· 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
1. In a bowl, combine and mix the egg yolk, cold water and vanilla extract.
2. In a food processor, combine flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Pulse to mix about 5 times.
3. Add unsalted butter to the food processor and pulse to mix about 20 times until the butter is invisible.
4. Add the mix from 1) to the food processor and mix until the dough comes together into a ball.
5. On a lightly floured cutting board, place 4) and press it flat into a disk. Wrap completely using saran wrap and let it chill in the fridge for 30 min to an hour.
6. Preheat oven to 200C° or 400F°.
7. Take out the dough from the fridge and roll it out into a size a little bigger than the tart pan. Place the dough on the tart pan.
8. Press the dough firmly into the corners and ridges of the tart pan. Cut out unnecessary dough. Dock the dough with a fork.
9. Line the interior of tart with parchment paper and place pie weights or dry beans on top of the parchment paper to prevent expansion. Bake for 15 min.
10. Remove the weights and parchment paper, and bake for another 10 min.
11. Place it on a cooling rack and allow the tart crust cool down.
12. Preheat the oven to 180 C° or 350F° for the almond filling.
13. In a food processor, combine the almond slices, granulated sugar, and salt. Pulse until the almond turns into a powder.
14. Add eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, and melted butter into the food processor and pulse until it becomes pasty.
15. Pour the almond filling into the tart from 11). Flattened the top.
16. Top the filling with cherries.
17. Bake in the oven for about 30min or until the surface turns golden brown.
18. Remove the cherry tart from the oven, and brush the surface lightly with jam (add water in the jam if necessary).
19. Serve by itself, with ice cream or whipped cream!