A savory, comforting, and delicious French onion gratin soup is a must around this time of the season. The natural sugar from the onions and the melting cheese are wonderfully flavorful.
French Onion Gratin Soup
(Serves 4 to 5)
· 3 mid size or 2 large, onions
· 1 tablespoon of butter
· 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
· 120cc of white wine
· 1200cc of chicken or beef broth
· some salt
· some pepper
· some baguette
· some gruyere cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200℃). Peal the onion skins and slice.
2. Heat up vegetable oil and butter in a cast iron pot. Cook the onions lightly.
3. Once the onions are coated with oil, place the pot inside the oven without the lid.
4. Stir the onions every 10 min to prevent burn.
5. Bake for about 50 minutes until the onions are caramelized.
6. Remove the pot from the oven and place it on the stovetop. Turn on the heat and add white wine. Simmer until the wine evaporates.
7. Add chicken or beef broth.
8. Once the broth boils, simmer for 20 to 30 minutes over low heat.
9. Grate gruyere cheese. Slice baguette into 2cm and toast lightly.
10. Pour soup into oven safe soup bowls and place baguette on top.
11. Sprinkle lots of gruyere cheese on top and broil for few minutes until the cheese melts and turns golden brown.
12. Place a napkin or towel below the soup bowl and serve.