Matcha is stone ground green tea powder used for the Japanese tea ceremony. High quality ceremony grade Matcha is made from the new leaves at the top of the trees. The tea growers follow some special preparations and processes to produce the best leaves before harvesting. To keep the brilliant Matcha color, ceremonial quality tea uses only these new growth leaves which have an abundance of the healthy components of the tea leaves. Since the tea leaves are actually consumed when drinking it, Matcha tea is much stronger than regular “brewed” green tea and benefits are much greater too. Some of the benefits include beautiful skin, prevention of hypertension, dieting, and aid to our digestive system.
To start your Matcha craze it is best to begin with a simple Matcha latte at home. You will need Matcha tea, a bamboo whisk, a bowl or a cup for tea (I use a café au lait bowl), hot water, and warm milk. A lot of people like to make their Matcha with almond milk. Almond milk’s flavor does fit well with Matcha and it also is a healthy choice but I still prefer regular milk.
*Before using your bamboo whisk, soak it in water for a while if possible. It will work better.
If you are interested in my homemade granola from the pictures, check out the recipe Addictive “Addictive "Fruit & Coconut Honey Granola". This is one of my popular recipes.
· 1 teaspoon of Matcha
· 80ml of hot water
· 80ml of milk
1. Warm up milk and froth it.
2. Sift Matcha into a warm tea bowl.
3. Add a little hot water from the 80ml (maybe 1tbs) pour gently into the tea bowl from the side. Whisk until smooth.
4. Pour the remainder of the 80ml of hot water and whisk back and forth until foamy.
5. Gently add the frothed milk into the Matcha tea and serve.
6. You can sprinkle a little Matcha on the top if you desire.