Classic tomato soup is my all time favorite. Serve together with grilled cheese. Click on the link for Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe to serve on the side.
Classic Tomato Soup
· 1 mid-sized onion
· 1 small carrot
· 1 small clove of garlic
· 1 tablespoon of butter
· 1 tablespoon of olive oil
· 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
· 1 can of diced tomato (520g)
· 800cc of water
· 1 to 2 chicken consommé
· 50 t0 100cc of heavy cream
· a pinch of salt
· a pinch of pepper
· 1 to 2 teaspoon of brown sugar
1. Cut the onion and carrot into small pieces and chop the garlic.
2. Heat up the butter and oil in a pot. Sauté the vegetables from 1).
3. After sautéing for 5 minutes, add tomato paste and continue to sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
4. Add water, canned diced tomatoes, and consommé.
5. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or longer if you have time. Turn the heat off and use a hand blender to puree the vegetables.
6. Turn the heat back on and add heavy cream. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar. Simmer for 5 to 10 more minutes on low heat.
7. Pour the soup in a bowl and serve with grilled cheese on the side. Click on the link for Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe.
★If you are interested in Japanese cuisine then check out my other articles in the Washoku.Guide!