This filling but healthy bean burger recipe is a keeper. I make the bean patties the night before and cook in the morning for breakfast or weekend brunch. The spices make this burger so delicious!
Healthy Bean Burger
· canned cannellini beans (no salt added) 380g x2
· 1 small onion, finely chopped
· 1 tablespoon of Italian parsley, finely chopped
· 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme, finely chopped
· ¼ teaspoon of coriander
· ¼ teaspoon of cumin
· ½ teaspoon of salt
· a pinch of pepper
· 1 egg
· 120cc of breadcrumbs (plus additional for coating)
· some olive oil
· 4 burger buns
· some mayonnaise
· some ketchup
· some cayenne pepper and/or chili pepper
· some arugula and/or lettuce
· optional sliced red onions and/or pickles
1. Cook onion until translucent.
2. Strain the canned cannellini beans.
3. Use food processor to pulse the cannellini beans until paste forms.
4. Add cooked onion, parsley, thyme, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper, egg and breadcrumbs. Mix everything well.
5. Divide the mixture into 4 and shape bean patties. Coat it with some breadcrumbs and let it rest in the fridge for a while.
6. Pour some oil in a frying pan and cook the bean patties over medium heat until browned. Set the patties aside.
7. Separate the buns in half. In the same frying pan, add some olive oil and cook the buns until browned.
8. Mix equal amount of mayonnaise and ketchup in a bowl. Add some cayenne pepper, chili pepper if you like. Spread it over the cut side of the buns.
9. Place the bean burger on one side of the bun and top it with arugula and/or lettuce.
10. Place the other half of the bun on top. Add some red onions and/or pickles or serve them on the side.